An aspect that significantly impacts the consumer’s rights in the sharing economy is whether an agreement is entered into by two private persons or the service provider is a company or a private person who sells products in a professional manner.
When you buy a service from a private person and are dissatisfied with the service:
- You should contact the service provider as soon as possible and specify what your complaint applies to as well as your demands for compensation.
- If a sales transaction or other agreement is between two private persons, the parties to the agreement are responsible for their obligations according to the agreement they have entered into. Consumer protection legislation cannot be applied.
- If the problem is not resolved: The consumer can contact the sharing platform’s mediation service, if it has one. The consumer authorities cannot help with problems where two private persons have entered into an agreement.
On the contrary, when you buy a service from a company or private person who sells products in a professional manner and you are dissatisfied with the service:
- You should contact the service provider as soon as possible and specify what your complaint applies to as well as your demands for compensation. The company that is the service provider is usually responsible for finding a solution when problems arise. See more on the distribution of liability on the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority website.
- If the sales or other agreement is between a company and a consumer, the buyer can assert their right to consumer protection. Finnish law does not include separate provisions on delays or errors in services, so the general principles of contract law and consumer law are applied to how errors in the service are assessed.
- The selection of a payment method may be decisive if problems arise. See more on the topic on the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority website.
- If the problem cannot resolved: In the event of a dispute, the consumer or company can contact Consumer Advisory Services and ask for advice in how to resolve the matter.